Maine Weather

CLICK HERE TO GET THE MAINE WEATHER

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Odd News

Having been born and brought up till my mid teens in Maine I am used to a certain way of life and a certain way of doing things. As a collective group...think Borg, this seems to be a pattern here, we are resourceful, fiercely independent, fairly nosy but tend to mind our own business. We take pride in helping others, an example I think I have used before is we have huge number or senior citizens here yet very few are in rest homes...family takes care of family.
I am amazed at the fact that 5 of the 6 New England states have approved and voted on and signed into effect a gay marriage bill. Although I see no reason for it I guess its kinda cool being ahead of the curve. Its my opinion that a strong well written will is enough to keep most families at bay in the event of a death. I have mine set up so that in the event of my death all are provided for, but Tony gets the bulk of my estate and my half of the house. Now the clincher, and my lawyer suggested this, is that if anyone in my will decides to challenges it, he or she will be dropped from receiving anything should they lose the challenge. He has used it several hundred times in his career as an lawyer and to his knowledge it has never been challenged in court. I guess greed is a great motivator.

I stll just don't see the need for this. If you want to get married I am glad I live in a state where you can, but it just seemes kinda stupid to me. If you have something to say please do it here, there is no sense in sending an email to my email account because, more than likely if its got a good point or its truly obnoxious I'm just going to print it here.


Oh well, this tired old gay republication is going to drag his ass to bed.
DGC

4 comments:

MICK said...

Great post Dale.

I find it interesting that even with the size of the gay population here in New Mexico and our shift to the Democratic Party [all our governmental reps are now Dems] gay marriage bills still fail to win at election time. Santa Fe per capita has the largest same-sex partnerships in the country - go figure.

Like you though the 'M' word is just that, a word. Gay and straight couples have legal ways of cementing their relationships like wills etc.

My sister and her 'boyfriend' have been together 25 years and have a fine son to boot and they have never discussed getting married.

My question is being that I do not have a partner...who do I leave my comic book collection to???

Anonymous said...

WEll, if it will make you feel better I will take that Superman Number One off your hands.
DGC

MICK said...

I wish I had Action Comics #1. You will have to settle for Groo The Warrior by Sergio Argones. I have #1 and 2s of the 80's version and the 2000s version. MINT condition.

Kevin Morgan said...

Found you via Mick's blog--

With respect, I have to disagree with you on the importance of marriage availability. Granted, not all gay couples want it, but there's a lot more to cementing a relationship than having a good will. There's a ton of other things needed, like a durable power of attorney for health care decisions, that even taken together only add up to an approximation of some of the rights and privileges that come with marriage.

The problem is that the laws of this country and most states are littered with references to the rights, responsibilities, and privileges of spouses. If you're in a car wreck and incapacitated, your wife can make decisions on your behalf, automatically. Your "partner" can't.

If a doctor commits malpractice while treating you and you die, your wife can sue the doctor. Your partner can't.

If you're charged with a crime, you can prohibit the prosecution (usually) from calling your wife as a witness against you and compelling her testimony. Your partner - no such luck.

And on and on. Being legally married covers a lot more than a will. Now, that may not be what you want, but in those cases, nobody's making people get married. But, for those who want the same treatment under the law, even if it's just on principle, NOTHING substitutes for marriage.