Maine Weather

CLICK HERE TO GET THE MAINE WEATHER

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

We Lost Herbie


In Yammouth Maine there lived a tree named Herbie. Estimated to be from 212 to 240 years old, he lives no more. There were hundreds of Dutch Elm trees in the area till the 50's when Elm disease started ravaging them. The town decided to concentrate on saving one of the biggest..he became Herbie. On my trek to the Desert Of Maine last year I actually stopped and took a couple pics of the old fella..not sure where they are filed so it may be a while till I find them. I found one online and there are some YouTube vids but for some reason they will not upload here. He stood a little over 110 feet tall, weighted in at about 8 tons. 20 feet around..my kinda tree. When you stop and think of the things he has "seen" in that time is amazing. The Revolutionary War, from horse and buggy to 300 horsepower cars. From dark and to bed at sunset, to gas lamps, to a town that is never truly dark due to streetlights and night owls.
Makes you feel kinda young, does it not?
Take Care Of Yourself And Those You Love
Jan 20th, 2010
Dale

I just Googled the average height of a "story" of a house..the average is 11 feet.
1 story 11 feet, 2 story 22 feet, 10 story..110 feet. Next time you drive past a 10 story building think of Herbie.

3 comments:

Garnet said...

Nice pic. I saw it on the news last night, but they didn't have any shots of Herbie in his glory- just in his last gasp.

Vic Mansfield said...

Sad. I love trees and hate to see the old, stately ones come down. Here in the Southern Appalachians, we're losing many stately, old hemlocks to a bug. Sad.

MICK said...

When I visited Tennessee a few years back the trees were the first things I noticed. I could feel the age in them, especially walking on the grounds of Andrew Jackson's estate.