Maine Weather

CLICK HERE TO GET THE MAINE WEATHER

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Fort Western

Morning Folks

I have been trying to get this post for a couple years but just did not. I have driven past this fort hundreds if not thousands of times. I remember going here as a little kid on a class trip. About 3 years ago I took an interest in it after an article in the paper about it needing help. I sent a donation and signed up as a volunteer..never got called on that one but they did cash the check.
It was built in 1754 making the oldest standing wooden fort in the United States..that suprised me. Watching countless westerns as a kid I just asssumed all forts were out west. If you want more on this check out Land Of The Zia..it's listed on "blogs I follow". I went to a lecture held by the local historical society and their story does not match the web site on some issues. the website claims it has never beeen attacked..the local guy says it was and suffered a major fire and was rebuilt shortly after it was built. It was mainly a trading post and storage place to supply other forts along the Kennebec. Thjere is going to be a festival this sunday I am going to go to..see if I can find anything else out. There may be a part two of this. Benedict Arnold used the fort as a staging point on his attack on Quebec during the American Revolution in 1775. You can see more information at www.oldfortwestern.org if your interested.
If I set this up correctly the last picture will be a brick building across the street from the fort. It is now a senior living building. According to both the historical society and thier website this was an old opera house at one time. The claim to fame is that this is the first place that John Phiplip Sousa performed "Stars and Stripes Forever" for an audience.
I am finally taking time to explore my home state and the town I live in. The city has started a walking tour of downtown with old pictures posted. Going to try to do that one tomorrow morning then I am off to Bostton I think, after work on wednesday.
Dale

















2 comments:

MICK said...

VERY cool post, Dale. Great pics too.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Mick