Maine Weather

CLICK HERE TO GET THE MAINE WEATHER

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Books



Morning
My grandmother was a school teacher before she married. Reading to her was the most important thing you could do, so, she taught me to read very young. She had books everywhere. On shelves, under shelves, closets stacked form floor to ceiling. Boxes full form way back when, every room in her house had some form of bookcase. I picked up that habit, it became almost a sin to throw a book away. So I found myself in a rut. Well over 2000 books in my house..in the basement bookcases, 3 bookcases in the living room, 10 bookcases in the dining room, 2 in the bedroom and 2 more in the office. Then there are the stacks on either side of the bed, on the stairs..yeah I know never put anything on the stairs you might trip, but hey c'cmon these are books people!
Well since I have started this odyssey to myself I decided to purge some of them. 1100 books later the GoodWill store cried uncle and told me no more. So I put boxes out side on the lawn with a sign saying free..they went away. The living room is empty, dining room is down to 5. A small stack on 1 side of the bed..6 or so. That's it. My back and shoulders hurt..books are heavy. I haven't tackled the basement yet.thats going to be a winter project..most of those we're my grandmothers and may be harder to get rid of.
It's kind of weird not having all those old friends around but I can get more..kind of symbolism there I think..and I kind of like it.
Dale

No comments: